Friday, April 22, 2022

the comfort factor...

It's funny how many times I've heard the term 'comfort' when folks explain to me why they need a boat bigger than they need and more expensive than they can afford. 

“Too many people spend money they haven’t earned to buy things they don’t want to impress people they don’t like.” —Will Rogers

Now, don't get me wrong, but comfort is a very important part of choosing a boat to cruise in and one would be stupid to choose a craft that did not offer a needful level of comfort. The problem arises when the definition of comfort is tied to cost, size and the ability to carry a lot of stuff rather than actual needs.

My needs for comfort on a boat are pretty simple...

  • A comfortable bed,
  • A workable galley.
  • A dining area large enough to feed four in comfort.
  • A couple of places to sit and read.
  • A place where I can play guitar.

Luckily for me a great number of boats meet those requirements quite easily in the thirty four foot and under zone. More importantly, I know from experience that a bigger or more expensive boat would not make living on a boat any more comfortable than a suitable 28-footer.

Sure, a bigger boat might have an extra head and a couple more beds but how does that add to my comfort?

I saw this the other day and it makes all kinds of sense.


The best place to start is working out just what your real comfort requirements are. A comfort audit if you will.



No comments:

Post a Comment