Wednesday, March 25, 2015

my VolksCruiser want list part two...

So, having had the want list percolate for a couple of days I find pretty much everything on the list can pretty much be reclassified to go into the "Need" list...

The exceptions being:
  • Shoal draft (1 meter or less) That will dry more or less upright
  • Outboard motor
  • Standing headroom (6'6") would be nice where needful
While I really want less than three feet of draft, for a variety of very good reasons I should add, I can get along quite well with a boat that has five feet of draft. Keeping in mind that with legs I can still dry out upright... So we'll continue to classify the three feet or less draft as a "want" rather than a "need".

While an outboard motor is my preferred method of auxilliary propulsion it really is more a "want" rather than a "need" because there is nothing wrong with an inboard motor.

As for the headroom... Face it, designers simply don't design boats with folks who are 6'5" in mind and, more often than not, when they do in a less than 36-foot envelope the results are seldom very good. So, standing headroom where needful is demoted to whatever I can get by with.

Next we'll talk about the word affordable...

1 comment:

  1. I was able to get a 32 foot sailboat for free due in part to it's having no inboard engine. I designed and fitted a movable outboard mount on the transom which works great, plus lots of space where the inboard was! I can send pictures if you like.

    ReplyDelete