Sunday, October 12, 2014

Did simplicity just become Hip?

Yesterday, over at Boat Bits, I mentioned a French boat I like that I thought was overpriced... Then again, some astute observers might point out that I think almost all boats are seriously overpriced. I'm just that kind of guy...

As it happens, the Mojito 888 is a great boat for folks of the VolksCruiserish persuasion to study because its simplicity of interior construction and design should make for a very inexpensive solution to fitting out a homebuilt boat or rehab project.

For instance, just check out the galley...


It's real simple... There's plenty of room for the pots/pans, utensils and tools you actually need/use and with a little tweak or two could be a whole lot better. The important part is that it's simple, does not use a lot of expensive material, and can be built in a long weekend. Fact is, there's not a single chunk of the interior of this boat that can't be built in a weekend or so.

Of course, this sort of simplicity flies in the face of the prevailing mindset where where folks are trying to make boats into houses, luxury condos, or shrines but, as far as I'm concerned, if I wanted a house I wouldn't be on a boat.

As far as the Mojito goes, they got the simplcity right but somehow forgot to apply it to the price... Bummer that. On the other hand, the fact that it is a bit pricey as well as being the Voile Magazine "Boat of the year", will give simple seaworthy interiors a certain "Hipness"factor...

Now if you were to apply a nice simple interior to Tad Robert's new 28-foot scow schooner you'd be way ahead of the game...


I'll be talking a lot about Tad's new schooner in the next few posts...