Friday, January 24, 2014

So here's a wrong boat that could take you far...

There's a beat up fixer-upper for sale down here that I've had my eye on for a while... a Kenner Skipjack to be precise. As boats go, it is something of an odd duck...

Of course, half the reason for my interest is the word "skipjack" which is a hull form that makes all kinds of sense if you happen to be an aficionado of shoal draft design. But, like I said, the Kenner is still something of an oddball...

... with a poorly thought out rig, a confused use of interior space, an LOA of 49 feet, and the sort of pseudo-salty styling that is just a hair's breadth from screaming "theme park", it's at best sorta/kinda problematic. Still, it does have a hull that whispers something to me...


Yeah, I could see myself in some out of the way thin water location building a surfboard on its bridgedeck with a smile on my face... Though, I should add, it would more than likely be sporting a different rig, less bowsprit, and a completely different interior.

Obviously the wrong boat but...