Thursday, January 2, 2014

Is this the year of the Trilo?

I went shopping the other day and with just about everything I popped in my basket I felt a certain "I'm-sure-the-price-on-this-has-gone-up" twinge. It's getting a lot more expensive these days and if canned tuna goes up you have to know that so are boats and boat related products.

Seriously, have you looked at what good quality clear VG Douglas Fir is going for these days?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"  Hunter S Thompson
That quote really says it all... Dr Thompson could easily have been talking about building a boat in 2014 where the same old same no longer makes any sort of economic sense and if you're going to do it you'll have to think a bit outside the box.

Then again, maybe the box is the answer...


Dave Z, of TriloBoat fame is currently doing the pretzel logic two-step thing while designing his next boat and reading his thought process on the subject is quite enlightening.

Personally, I'm pretty sure Dave is on the right track and, while I don't exactly agree with everything he says, he is most certainly on to something and, I expect, with just a small bit of evolution (and some French scow influence) he'll nail it.

Now, with that out of the way, the most important boatbuilding word for 2014 is F-O-R-M-P-L-Y...