Wednesday, February 15, 2023

and in the "You get what you pay for" follies...

Ég hef kannski verið að tala á íslensku...

I like to think of myself as being a critical consumer. Sure, cost is always going to be a factor when I'm buying something for the boat but it's not the only factor.

The overall quality and utility of a product are the two biggest factors when I'm looking to acquire needful gear. You can be assured that anything I get for the boat is going to be a quality product. Which is a roundabout way of saying that I'm cheap but not stupid.

Now, about that tool roll...

Yes, it is only fifteen-dollars and yes, there are any number of tool rolls I could have bought for a lot more money like the Sailrite kit which cost a chunk of change and would have taken a couple of hours for me to sew up making it something like an $80 tool roll.

The big question is would the Sailrite kit be worth $60? Would it be worth four times as much as the Walmart tool roll?

For me, the whole idea behind getting the tool roll is to better organize tool stowage and improve working on various projects with better tool organization. As such, buying four of the Walmart's tool rolls would really make grabbing tools for a given project off the boat a helluva lot easier and faster than I'm currently doing.

That said, I don't know how you work or your process. What I do know is how I work and the tool rolls make a lot of sense. Because I'm fairly leery of all products these days, I bought one of the tool rolls from Walmart to judge its quality, utility, and price before I decided to buy more. Being pleasantly surprised by the quality of the product, I was able to ascertain that it would work for its intended use. The tool roll passed with flying colors.

Yeah, I know we all have that inbuilt knee jerk reaction that cost defines both quality and utility but in our current world of profit led consumerism it just no longer applies. 

Especially where boat stuff is concerned.

The whole central issue of the VolksCruiser idea is that you really have to be a critical consumer which simply translates to doing your homework and never, ever take things at face value.

Nóg sagt.

No comments:

Post a Comment