Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Some short list musing...

Remember I talked to Tad Roberts recently and how he's working on a new series of frugal Future Cruisers in 28 - 54 foot...

The 28-foot Future Cruiser is everything a couple needs but, I expect, most folks would be more interested in the 34 or 38 foot versions. Personally I expect the 38 footer would be on my short list (all those guitars have to go somewhere) but I'll admit that the concept of a really simple 54-foot design along these lines has me some kind of interested... That said, in the 38-foot Future Cruiser I'd more than likely make some changes (which is half the advantage of building your own boat as nothing is set in stone as long as you're willing to accept the possibility of getting it wrong)!
What changes would I make? Well for one, I'd look seriously at bringing out the coachroof to the hull sides as I've always wanted a flush deck boat (White Squall, the one-off CAL 40 is, and has always been, in my top five favorite boats) and the added strength would be no bad thing. I like the rig as drawn but I can't help thinking that a high aspect balanced lug schooner with jib would seriously rock the house and surprise a whole lot of folks on a performance level... That said, just as it is, it is some seriously awesome boat! But, nothing goes on the short list till I've seen what Mr Roberts has in mind for the 54-foot Future Cruiser! For those who want a glimpse at the wonderfulness that is White Squall...

No comments:

Post a Comment